Re: Correct transition path for moving EFI application

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 03:39:58PM +0000, Mario.Limonciello@dell.com wrote:

> Sent from VMware Boxer
>
> On Jul 3, 2018 09:58, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 02:25:10PM +0000, Mario.Limonciello@dell.com wrote:
> > >Hi All,
> >
> > Hey Mario!
> >
> > >We’re right about to merge something in upstream fwupd that takes all of
> > >fwupdate and puts it into the fwupd package.
> > >
> > >Fwupd will directly manage installation of the EFI application to the ESP
> > >(including detection of the ESP location at runtime).
> > >
> > >In order to accomplish this I think it’s important that fwupdate is
> > >no longer installed with fwupd.  I wanted to ask for some advice
> > >however on what the proper packaging transition path is.
> > >
> > >Currently fwupdate has
> > >
> > >/usr/lib/fwupdate/fwupx64.efi
> > >
> > >This is installed to the ESP with a postinst script.
> > >
> > >Fwupd has:
> > >
> > >/usr/lib/fwupd/efi/fwupdx64.efi
> > >
> > >This is installed at runtime when a capsule update is installed.
> > >
> > >The file on the ESP is compared and if different the one in /usr/lib/fwupd/efi/
> > >fwupx64.efi will be installed.
> > >
> > >So the files don’t strictly conflict, but I think it would be better
> > >for fwupdate to be removed for transition purpose to avoid confusion
> > >of which package is installed to the ESP (especially since fwupdate
> > >is “currently” recommends for fwupd [that will be dropped]).
> >
> > Yes, fair enough. They don't conflict in terms of direct file paths in
> > the packages, but they conflict in terms of functionality via the
> > files in the ESP.
> >
> > >Reviewing
> > >https://wiki.debian.org/PackageTransition
> > >
> > >It seems that this should be case #11, right?
> > >Breaks: fwupdate (<< 11)
> > >Replaces: fwupdate (<< 11)
> > >Provides: fwupdate
> > >
> > >I tried to do this, but I encounter something along the lines of:
> > >
> > >dpkg: regarding fwupd*deb containing fwupd:
> > >fwupd breaks fwupdate (<< 11)
> > >  fwupdate (version 10-3) is present and installed
> > >
> > >dpkg: error processing archive fwupd*deb (--install):
> > >  installing fwupd would break fwupdate, and
> > >deconfiguration is not permitted (--auto-deconfigure might help)
> > >
> > >Errors were encountered when processing:
> > >
> > >fwupd*.deb
> >
> > The transition path looks perfectly OK to me, and it's exactly what
> > I'd have suggested. How are you testing here? Using dpkg directly, or
> > via apt?
>
> Thanks for confirming. I was doing it with dpkg. Do you expect apt would have resolved the upgrade path properly then?

Yes, apt would probably do one of the following:

1. upgrades fwupdate to a version >= 11 (if one exists, idk, did not read it all)
2. passes --auto-deconfigure, which deconfigures fwupdate, and removes it later on
3. just removes fwupdate first

In any case, it would have the expected result.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en