Lenovo Yoga 900 UEFI boot problem after upgrading today

I had a bit of excitement today with UEFI:

* Lenovo Yoga 900 (bought in April, should be the current model)
* Running stretch (since jessie is too old)
* Ran "apt upgrade" today.
* Rebooted
* UEFI tells me "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed"
  and asks me to insert a rescue drive (presumably something generated
  from Windows, which I haven't got, but I used the jessie d-i
  instead).

So, not entirely happy panda. I booted the jessie d-i image into
rescue mode, mounted the (encrypted) root filesystem, and attempted to
fix this by:

* update-grub
* efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p  1 -w -L debian l '\EFI\debian\grubx64.efi'

These failed. On advice from unixsmurf on IRC I tried this:

* mount /dev/sda1  /boot/efi
* ls /boot/efi
* cd /boot/efi/EFI/
* cp -a debian boot

Then I rebooted (exit rescue shell, choose reboot from menu), and the
system came up normally now. *Whew*

Is there something I can I do to help debug this? Is there something I
could to prevent this from happening again?

--
Schrödinger's backup hypothesis: the condition of any backup is
undefined until a restore is attempted. -- andrewsh