Re: RAID1 & UEFI: support for twin ESPs in GRUB

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:29:27 +0100 Francesco Poli wrote:

[...]
> Another issue is, of course, testing the resulting binary packages.
[...]
> Any suggestions on which packages I should install and on how to create
> a virtual UEFI machine with two drives where I can run the
> debian-installer and install the grub-efi-amd64 packages I will build?
[...]

Hello again,
I've been told that package ovmf [1] is needed in order to create and
run a virtual UEFI machine. Unfortunately, ovmf is non-free, since the
included FAT file system driver has "additional terms" that restrict
redistribution and use to the implementation of (U)EFI specifications.
See the Intel-Fat-Driver license in the debian/copyright file [2].

I am not aware of any DFSG-free alternative or any ovmf variant with
the Intel FAT driver replaced by some BSD-licensed DFSG-free FAT driver
(perhaps the FAT driver in some *BSD kernel could be adapted?).
Does any of you know of such an alternative?
It seems impossible that nobody else really cares...

[1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/ovmf
[2] http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/e/edk2/edk2_0~20160104.c2a892d7-1_copyright

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!