Re: Who is using Debian-Edu

On Wednesday, 15-05-2024 at 07:32 Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> On Sun, May 12, 2024 at 01:30:26PM +1000, Kirkham, George wrote:
> > How are you today?  I hope you well and are not too busy and have
> > time to reply to my email.
>
> well, I am well and too busy to reply to some nice long email of some
> random stranger :/

I do not need to be a stranger. If you ever have time, we can connect up with Video Conferencing. Though time zones can be annoying.

However I understand you are busy, so thank you very much for your response!

Who am I?  I am a retired IT professional.

I started work as a Radio And TV Mechanic apprentice in 1974.

Purchased a TRS 80 Clone computer (Dick Smith System 80) around 1980 hoping to work out what "computers" were.

Left the work force for two years to complete an Associate Diploma in Electrical Engineering.

While working in a Telecommunications company started writing programs to automate manual tasks. This led me to completed a Bachelor of IT.

Over time, I worked with Visual Basic programming, Window Desktop SOE for 5,000 workstations, and finally supporting a small company (20 people) with all things IT, including Linux email and Web server.

Now that I am retired, I like using Linux, like setting up https://jitsi.goproject.info from my home for a small group of retires to talk about Linux. VC started because of COVID, otherwise the meeting was 'in person'.

My wife has used Linux as her primary desktop a few time over the past 20 years, whenever she found various versions of Windows unstable, before going back to Windows once Windows became more stable. With Windows 11 coming, she is currently trailing Debian KDE for primary desktop.

Thank you for your reply,

George.