Re: Backup Management

Hi Dashamir,

On  Mi 12 Okt 2022 05:32:36 CEST, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:

Hi,

The backup management seems a bit outdated to me:
https://jenkins.debian.net/userContent/debian-edu-doc/debian-edu-doc-en/debian-edu-bullseye-manual.html#idm1268

Not only the docs, but also the tools. For example, in order to be able to
login at the web interface: https://www/slbackup-php, you have to enable
root login with password on the main-server, which is not recommended for
security reasons. I would suggest dropping slbackup-php from DebianEdu. The
docs can explain instead how to manage the backups from the command line,
especially since the backup system is actually based on rdiff-backup.

It is also not clear how to store backups on a remote host. I managed
somehow to find a way, by setting up a passwordless SSH login to the backup
server (details here:
http://dashohoxha.fs.al/docs/testing-debian-edu-with-lxd.html#_remote_backup).
But it is not documented and it is not obvious at all.

I wonder what people (managers of DebianEdu) do to handle backups. Do you
use any other tools, besides rdiff-backup and slbackup? I have also seen
some old recommendations for using Backup PC:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/BackupPC
However, BackupPC seems a bit outdated too. Has anyone tried BorgBackup (
https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/quickstart.html) or something
else?

Regards,
Dashamir

I use dirvish from a second server. Works like a charme.

Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31