Re: Creating DebianSchools

Hi,

> i would like to create a DebianSchools derivative of Debian with all the tools a school may need, eg. to manage the schools with SIS like opensis, RosarioSIS or zeusEdu and LMS like Moodle or chamilo plus tools to create timetables and plenty of other tools that are already packaged in yunohost

Why do you want to do that?

Debian Edu was a derivative in the past, and now is a pure blend. Why not contribute your improvements to Debian Edu instead of forking it into a derivative?

By the way, I am currently working on tightly integrating AlekSIS[1] with Debian Edu, ultimately making AlekSIS the new management frontend to replace GoSA. There is an ongoing packaging effort.

Related to that, AlekSIS is supposed to learn how to deploy Debian machines, both for desktops and for server applications like Moodle or Nextcloud.

If you are willing to join any of that, feel free to ping me.

There are many ways to improve Debian for schools, but I am convinced that introducing a new derivative is no such way.

Cheers,
Nik