Boot issue on older hardware using buster

Hi folks,

We recently updated our Debian Edu server from Stretch to Buster. We use a number of older Panasonic Toughbooks and all of them are no longer able to boot.

The following message is thrown on those Toughbooks:

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

Can this be fixed? What's the best approach for this?

Kind regards,
Roman