Re: Samba in Debian Edu 11

Hi Mike,

[ Mike Gabriel, 2020-10-23 ]
> I have just taken a look at your Samba changes for Debian Edu 11.
> Thanks for working on this.
>
> I have several questions and comments regarding this.
>

> 1. NT4 Domain Support vs. LDAP Samba3 Support
>
> In previous discussions/chats we came to the conclusion that Samba
> must stay, although NT4 style domain support has been removed from
> Samba (entirely, or from Samba in Debian?). Recent Windows 10 clients
> have dropped NT4 style domain support, as well, so probably nothing to
> discuss here.

AFAICT, it has been dropped from Samba entirely.

> However, has the Samba3-like LDAP support also been dropped from the
> recent Samba version in Debian testing/unstable? If not, we could have
> dropped the NT4 domain, but leave the Samba-LDAP stuff intact, so that
> SMB account things don't need to be handled via GOsa hooks leveraging
> smbpasswd.

As far as I was able to find out, Samba in LDAP needs a NT4-style
domainsetup.

> Btw, do you have any URL / post / mailing list announcement where the
> non-availability of NT4 style domain support in Samba had been
> announced? I just looked at the Samba packages sources and could not
> find it there. (But maybe my grepping was just bad).

No, failed to find anything about it; needed to go the hard way via
trial and error.

> 2. mixing LDAP users and local groups
> =====================================
>
> I saw a "usermod -a -G sambashare $USERID" in
> share/debian-edu-config/tools/gosa-create. This command adds LDAP users into
> a POSIX group in /etc/group.
>
> While this works, it does not scale very well. With a handful of users, you
> should not notice any problems.
>
> I have schools with a thousand users in LDAP (plus several hundred
> deactivated accounts, too). I'd love to not see all those users added to a
> group in /etc/group.
>
> The fix for this would be changing Samba to use the "students" (or
> "teachers") group and mimick the functionality that gets granted by the
> local system group "sambashares". This might involve various chown commands
> under /var/lib/samba.

Thought about the GOsa groups as well, but to no avail up to now.
Please go ahead.

> 3. Samba / Winbind and Radius / MSCHAP
> ======================================
>
> Another aspect, why having a usable Samba in Debian Edu is the option to
> install a freeradius server on the Debian Edu main server and support
> MSCHAPv2 authenation with that. The setup I use at my customers proxies the
> authentication requests for MSCHAPv2 over to the winbind service and this
> requires ntPassword hashes being available to winbind.
>
> This should basically continue to work with your setup, but I'd prefer
> having those password hashes stored in LDAP (and also being used from
> there).
>

> Idea / Proposal
>
> My overall idea is in fact to roll back some of your Samba reduction changes
> and go back to a state where Samba authentication in smb.conf uses an
> ldapsam:// auth backend. Furthermore, I think we need to amend the
> sambashares issue described in 2. (see above).

Please go ahead...

Wolfgang