Re: Effort to reduce translatable strings in debian-edu-doc manuals

Hi Frans & Wolfgang,

first: many thanks, Frans, for bringing up this topic and starting to
investigate solutions! I very much agree that we should try to prevent
unneeded busy work for translators!

second: while I can comment here, I will not be able to contribute much
to these efforts. I'm too busy elsewhere...

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 02:40:12PM +0200, Frans Spiesschaert wrote:
> But let me make this clear: it cannot be acceptable to make existing things
> worse by changing certain things.

very much agreed as well.

> > Right; this stanza seems to stem from an effort (long ago) to exclude
> > some strings from being translated.
> Cool! So let's revive that effort ;)

also :)

> I am aware of it, and it would be unacceptable to break things.

while true, it's also true that temporary limited breakage might be acceptable,
if unavoidable.

> This is an option definitely worth considering, but I would prefer to keep
> giving credit to translators, as long as this wouldn't imply each time a
> POT-file update. Translating a manual such as the bullseye manual is quite
> an effort that is worth being given credit for (if reasonably possible).

also agreed.

> > The translators could be credited, though - via an (optional) addendum
> > file for a
> > specific translation.
>
> This is a solution that is used by Lucas Nussbaum for his packaging-
> tutorial and it is also an option that is suggested by the developers of
> po4a.
> However, such .add files can reasonably only be created by the translators
> themselves because it needs to be written in their own language.

hmmmm. I guess my idea of leaving the copyright ('credits') untranslated
doesnt go well with translators then...! Fair enough! :)

> Lucas Nussbaum therefore made a README.translators file in his source, that
> reads
> "Crediting your work:
> See po4a/add_fr/fr.add for an example of adding an additional slide at the
> end, and the fr.po file for an example of adding your name on the title
> slide."
> But for translators using hosted-weblate for their translations, creating
> such an extra file isn't an option.

ah

> Therefore I am still in favour of a rewording of the translation copyright
> paragraphs.

ok

> I am aware that the file scripts/get_copyright parses the xml or po files
> to collect this information.
> So if we would alter the wording of the translation copyright paragraphs,
> we would have to adapt that script to the new situation (without breaking
> anything of course).

yes, but thats not really hard, it just needs coordination / someone to finish
the job.

--
cheers,
	Holger