New script: create-server-cert (in DATADIR/d-e-c/tool/)

Hi all,

I have just committed a very useful script to d-e-c that easily assists a site admin to create web server certificates for additional web (or whatever) servers on a Debian Edu network.

This script expects a host.domain name as first cmdline arguemnt.

Usage: create-server-cert <server-name>.<server-domain>

Then, this script searches LDAP for the given host.domain name. It expects this host.domain name to have a DNS A record in LDAP (i.e. it is expected to to be the IP's FQDN.

If a host is given matching the above criterion, this script extracts all CNAME records pointing at this host.domain FQDN from LDAP.

The FQDN and all CNAME aliases are then put into a temporary openssl.conf (and v3.conf) file and the script tries to create an SSL server certificate for the given host.

The created files will be stored in /etc/ssl/certs/<host>_<domain>.crt and
/etc/ssl/private/<host>_domain.key.

Limitations / ToDos:
  - the script expects A records and CNAME records to share the same
    domain

Please let me know what you think about this? (I dearly hope, we haven't had such a script already).

light+love
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31