Re: Effort to reduce translatable strings in debian-edu-doc manuals

[ Wolfgang Schweer ]
> > > The translators could be credited, though - via an (optional) addendum
> > > file for a
> > > specific translation.

[ Frans Spiesschaert ]

> > This is a solution that is used by Lucas Nussbaum for his packaging-
> > tutorial and it is also an option that is suggested by the developers of
> > po4a.
> > However, such .add files can reasonably only be created by the translators
> > themselves because it needs to be written in their own language.

[ Holger Levsen ]

> hmmmm. I guess my idea of leaving the copyright ('credits') untranslated
> doesnt go well with translators then...! Fair enough! :)

It's actually quite easy to create those $lang.add files without
involving translators because only two strings need to be translated,
with the translation already contained in the related PO file. Let me
try to explain this using the content of the
debian-edu-bullseye-manual.nb.add file as an example:

PO4A-HEADER: mode=after; position=Utgivelsesdato; endboundary=<section>
<screen>
Forfattere av oversettelse:
  2007, 2012, 2014-2020 Petter Reinholdtsen
  2007-2009 Håvard Korsvoll
  2008 Tore Skogly
  2010 Ole-Anders Andreassen
  2010 Jan Roar Rød
  2014, 2016, 2017 Ole-Erik Yrvin
  2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Ingrid Yrvin
  2014 Hans Arthur Kielland Aanesen
  2014 Knut Yrvin
  2014 FourFire Le'bard
  2014 Stefan Mitchell-Lauridsen
  2014 Ragnar Wisløff
  2018-2020 Allan Nordhøy
</screen>

The two strings in (nb) are translations of 'Publish date' and 'Authors
of the translation' taken from debian-edu-bullseye-manual.nb.po
If wanted, I could provide all needed addendum files.

> > Lucas Nussbaum therefore made a README.translators file in his source, that
> > reads
> > "Crediting your work:
> > See po4a/add_fr/fr.add for an example of adding an additional slide at the
> > end, and the fr.po file for an example of adding your name on the title
> > slide."
> > But for translators using hosted-weblate for their translations, creating
> > such an extra file isn't an option.

See above: they don't need to touch an addendum files.

Wolfgang