Re: next-generation LTSP landing in unstable

Hi Wolfgang,

Am Freitag, 22. November 2019 schrieb Wolfgang Schweer:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 07:48:47PM +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:

> > > Yeah, that shouldn't be hard to implement.
> >
> > One option surely could be an x2goclient thinclient. The X2Go project has
> > code for that already and I deploy similar setups at customers. Probably
> > time to share it with Debian Edu.
>
> Digging a bit into it, I noticed that thin client support is possible
> without using a dm at all. Using a systemd override.conf file allows to
> autologin into tty1; then startx can be run as a user created on the
> fly. The Xsession can be configured to let an X2Go client come up as
> only application. After logging out of the X2Go session, the client
> comes up again with a cleaned login window. This allow one to keep using
> even very old thin clients...
>
> Find attached a script that allows to turn a vanilla Debian workstation
> (only sid atm, because the ltsp package still needs to migrate to
> testing) into an LTSP thin client server, serving both 64- and 32-bit
> clients. (Calling the script with amd64 or i386 as param; also, the
> script could be smarter.)
>
> > Another option might be using Arctica Greeter with Remote Logon support. It
> > would be nice to generate a proper use case within Debian Edu for getting
> > this feature moved into the production realm.
> >
> > I sense, Wolfgang and I should stick our heads together for this, ideally in
> > person, rather than remote.
>
> Yes, there's quite a lot of integration work to be done if Debian Edu
> wishes to provide a multi-purpose school server for the bullseye
> release.
>
> Wolfgang

I haven't looked at the script you attached. I dearly recommend having a proper DM between system boot and session start.

I will bring the x2gothinclient src:pkg to Debian unstable within the next week. Once we have that, thin client functionality should be fully covered as a combination of ltsp + x2gothinclient-minidesktop. The minidesktop uses LightDMs auto-login feature...

See: git.x2go.org, Git repo: x2gothinclient

Greets,
Mike
--
Gesendet von meinem Fairphone2 (powered by Sailfish OS).