Re: d-e-c git changes

On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 12:39:01PM +0200, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> Because it can tell networked and standalone workstations apart, see the
> definitions of classes 'workstation' and 'standalone' (same file); these
> two definitions have been used before with cfengine2 and got
> 'translated' to cfengine3 speak some time ago).

ok, seems suboptimal but if its the way it is…

> Running 'cf-agent -D installation' on a test system with updated
> cfengine files seemed to work like expected.

cool.

> > commit d5a6ec5c48dae5845e200db69f48467b5a9ec584
> Instead of those three desktop related packages, there should rather be
> a name of a (new!) meta-package, say 'education-desktop-other-networked'
> recommending those (moved as Recommends: from 'education-networked' to
> Suggests: to 'education-desktop-other' to keep them on installation
> media), because src:d-e would be the right place for maintaining them.
> (Similar to 'education-networked-common' and 'education-networked' for
> non-desktop packages.)

ah, yes, I wondered about this previously. Shall we file a bug report to
not forget to implement this or will you implement this right away? ;-)

> As the existence of 'desktop=xxxx' on the kernel command line, which is
> there by default, will now pull in 'education-desktop-other' it would
> have been wrong to move those three packages from 'education-networked'
> to 'education-desktop-other', because it might confuse users if
> installed on systems with profile 'Standalone'.

ah, thanks.

> Once a modular installation scenario has proven to exist in the real
> world, src:debian-edu should be adjusted accordingly. I'll file a
> wishlist bug requesting a new meta-package once tests have been
> successful. For the time being I reckoned the chosen approach to be the
> least invasive one.

ok. (please ignore what I wrote above (about filing a bug etc…) ;)

> > Now I read debian/changelog I understand the intend much better. I think this should
> > be made cleaer in cf.finalize (as comment in that file) as well as better packages should
> > be choosen. (Or explained better as well :)
>
> Yeah, I tried to explain, but then the modular installation approach is
> sort of a puzzle consisting of pieces spread around src:d-e, src:d-e-c
> and kernel command line params...

ack :)

> Once working, I'll add another installation scenario to the manual's
> installation chapter.

nice!

> Maybe the intention is a bit clearer now...

a lot clearer, thanks!

--
cheers,
	Holger