Re: Questions regarding boot parameter edu-skip-ltsp-make-client

On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 11:46:46PM +0100, roman.meier@gismap.ch wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 05:02:56PM +0200, roman.meier@gismap.ch wrote:
> I have applied the offline manual above fully for the first time. I was
> able to apply it without facing problems. Thanks!
>
> Issue 1:
>
> I noticed when booting in the primary subnet that the pxe menu is
> incomplete. It shows 'LTSP thin client' but 'diskless workstation' is
> missing. I believe this is as a result of using boot parameter
> 'edu-skip-ltsp-make-client'.

> Do I need to adjust the pxe menu manually? What do I need to do?

Run 'debian-edu-pxeinstall' on the main server to re-generate the PXE
menu.

> Issue 2:
[..]

> However, again I'm facing issues with my thin clients. None of them is
> able to boot anymore. The login screen never shows and I get a black
> screen. I faced this issue before with a few somehow special hardware thin
> clients but now all seem to be affected and on both subnets.

No idea, I can't reproduce it. (All my testing is done using VMs in a
VirtualBox environment which might explain the difference.)

Just test it with an entry X_COLOR_DEPTH=16 or X_COLOR_DEPTH=24
(in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf), see manual:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Stretch/HowTo/NetworkClients#LTSP_client_configuration_in_LDAP_.28and_lts.conf.29

Wolfgang