Re: Stuck with Xfce

On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 01:17:58AM +0200, roman.meier@gismap.ch wrote:
> > During the installation process a window popped up and gave me a choice
> > between two options. I think it was about the display manager. I chose the
> > default which was "lightdm".

That's ok.

> I chose the desktop environment and then entered the credentials.

> However, I didn't realize that anytime a user enters the password, the
> desktop environment is reset.
>
> Is that behavior intentional?

I guess yes. A bit annoying but standard behaviour and common to
lightdm, gdm3, sddm and ldm (LTSP).

The sequence 'Username, Session and Language choice, Password' would be
okay as well.

The chosen options (session, language) are stored in $HOME/.dmrc, so the
username must be known. The next time you get what is stored in .dmrc
if no other choice has been made (or the input sequence was wrong).

Wolfgang