Re: debian-edu-current-codename (Was:[debian-edu-commits] debian-edu/ 01/01: Drop unused bin/debian-edu-current-codename workaround.)

[Holger Levsen]
>> a changelog entry is missing, though. 'debian-edu-hwsetup'
>> calls isenkram-autoinstall-firmware (among other adjustments) so maybe
>> should still be shipped.
>
> … and I believe isenkram is now also called automatically by d-i.

Not yet, as far as I know.

Isenkram provide two functions, one is to locate and install firmware
packages and the other is to install hardware specific non-firmware
packages.  I believe I saw some work adding similar firmware related
code to d-i, but am not sure it is working yet.  For the non-firmware
packages, I am not aware of any alternative to isenkram.

I suspect a good way forward for Debian Edu is to drop
debian-edu-hwsetup and call isenkram directly instead.  Perhaps by just
installing isenkram-cli and let its tasksel hooks do its magic.  Not
sure if this will loose some functionallity, or if all the potential
workarounds are obsolete now.  I do not remember how details about what
d-e-hwsetup is doing any more.

--
Happy hacking