Re: translations of applications

Hi Simon,

High quality localisation is an important asset for educational
software. So I think you pay attention to it with good reason.

Simon Oosthoek schreef op di 15-09-2015 om 10:29 [+0200]:
> Hi all
>
> I recently noticed that progress on translations in applications like
> gcompris or childsplay is miserably slow.

As far as gcompris is concerned, I can't agree with you. In Debian
gcompris is 100% translated to Dutch (please search for gcompris at
https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/nl). Maybe you should check
your localisation settings if you encounter difficulties in using this
program in Dutch.
Childsplay is another story, because it's development is slowing down.
But a few months ago a full Dutch translation has been submitted to it's
developer and to the Debian maintainer of the package. You'll just have
to await a new upload of the package.

You can check for it at https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/.

> As translating isn't something that should require programming skills, I
> wonder if there's some missing infrastructure to help "ordinary" parents
> to help translating these applications?

Indeed

> I wonder if there's a way to make this easier in general (not just for
> one or a few applications), is anyone aware of efforts to do this?

Within Debian localisation efforts are mainly focussed on those parts
that are specific for the distribution. Coordination is done in general
at https://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/ and specifically for Dutch at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-dutch/.

The localisation of application software mainly happens upstream from
Debian.
Applications that build tightly upon the specific libraries of a desktop
environment (such as Gnome or KDE) are generally dealt with by the
translation group of that environment. E.g. http://l10n.kde.org/ and for
Dutch http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=nl. For Gnome you may
refer to https://l10n.gnome.org/teams/ and for Dutch to
https://l10n.gnome.org/teams/nl/.

Besides that other localisation efforts for open source software exist.
There is the Dutch team of the Translation project
(http://translationproject.org/html/welcome.html) at
http://translationproject.org/team/nl.html.
There is also the software translation effort at Launchpad.net
(https://translations.launchpad.net/+languages/nl for Dutch).
One has also https://www.transifex.com/customers/open-source/, another
translation platform for the Open Source Community.

Finally some software developers prefer to coordinate the localisation
efforts for their software by themselves.

And generally all these efforts welcome more contributors.

Hope this helps.

--
Cheers,
Frans