changing the kdm theme?

Hi

I want to replace the debian-edu theme with one particular to the school. However I updated a theme, changed /etc/defaults/kdm/* and I rebooted the machine, but so far, the new theme isn't used (I checked /var/run/kdm/*rc and the files there contain the correct new values). I also checked the same places under /opt/ltsp/i386 and there too all the values are correct.

When/how is the actual theme changed?

I wanted to affect the terminals in such a way that each screen has a different background, so each terminal has a unique (and randomly changing) look. I wonder how I can make this work? My plan was to regularly update the background image, so each time a student logs out, a new picture is shown on the login screen, will that work?

Cheers

Simon