educlient development

Hi Giorgio,

yesterday, I tested your educlient package the first time. I have a customer that runs Linux Mint 17.1 workstations that need to be attached to a Debian Edu main server.

The educlient package requires some changes and I would like to maintain them in your upstream Git on git.debian.org.

The question is, how to maintain these changes.

Option (A):

  o create branches for every distro, educlient is provided for
    - ubuntu/trusty
    - mint/rebecca
    - debian/jessie
  o do releases in parallel on all these (still maintained) branches

Option (B):

  o implement distro and version awareness in the post installation script:

    - check on what kind of system educlient gets installed
    - use slightly different configs for each distro version
    - e.g. /etc/idmapd.conf has changed between Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04
      (Pipefs-Directory = /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs -> /run/rpc_pipefs)

Personally, I'd vote for the more complicate Option (B). It would allow us to maintain one code tree (and not several similar trees on several branches).

I also am thinking of making the package appropriate for upload to Debian unstable.

What do you think?
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM