Re: Failed login after upgrade

On 15 July 2015 at 03:39, Wolfgang Schweer <wschweer@arcor.de> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 02:05:54AM +0530, uday bhatye wrote:

> I decided to try a fresh install using debian usb 7.1 edu0 image I had
> and copy user's data after recreating the accounts.
>
> Amazingly, the freshly installed KDM (separate machine) too refused to
> login with same error. Just that the dhcp was working and clients are
> booting. But, no login.

During installation security updates are checked, so this might indicate
that the system is broken due to such updated package(s).

Thank you very much for this and all previous queries.

Actually, still many times, we do have internet connection problems. But, this time I kept a separate machine pinging the ISPs DNS all the time while installing and logged the output. It was perfect.

I suspect that somehow it is related to manual partitioning for tjener without separate home directories and LVM.

I did a fresh install with automatic partitioning. Set up huge number of users, all with new passwords and restored their home directories by hand. Everything is fine now.

On tjener: does login succeed for users?
On the client: does 'getent passwd' show users available on tjener?

Wolfgang