Re: cups client printers autodetect fails

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 07:58:33PM +0200, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 04:12:07PM +0200, Giorgio Pioda wrote:

> > > There were changes from wheezy to jessie, but last time I tested during
> > > development (maybe months ago) client printing worked out of the box.
> > >
> > > Checked once again.
> > >
> > > After setting up a printer called 'hp' on tjener it shows up on the
> > > client at once, but with a strange, wrong URI:
> > >
> > > device for samsung: ipps://tjener.local:631/printers/hp
> > >
> > > Will have to find out why .local is appended. Once adjusted on the client
> > > (tjener.local replaced with tjener), printing works.
> > >
> > > Wolfgang
> >

> > I could check it from home. Fully confirmed.
> >
> > IIRC the .local domain is the default avahi domain.
>
> For some reason the NSS module for Multicast DNS name resolution seems
> to be required now to resolve the avahi domain.
>
> Please test if printing works after installing the package libnss-mdns on
> the clients.

Hi,

tried, but no success. Tried to install it on tjener without success.

Looking into /var/log/cups/error_log there are more issues related
to the move CUPS 1.5 -> 1.7. For instance The BrowseAddress directive
doesn't exist any more. Also the Listen directive has probably changed
its behaviour and the "Listen www:631" raises error "Cannot assign requested
address".

A careful review of the cupsd.conf from somebody who is "cups-skilled"
is needed.

Regards

Giorgio

--