Re:Debian Edu ITIL documentation in English - finally -some comments

[shirish शिरीष]
> Hi all,

Hi.  Thank you very much for taking the time to read the early draft of
the English version of the ITIL document.

> I read the wiki page today. As shared by pere there seems to be quite
> a bit of obsolete documentation . Also would suggest to put all the
> content on transifex go through an english spell-checker.

We are working on it. :)

> The first part I am guessing is the glossary which also needs to be
> there in the English version.
> Please make sure to add FTE - Full Time Equivalent in the glossary as
> well.

Good point.  It should be done when the english wiki version is
authorative.

> For e.g. some more bit info. about ITIL would be nice. The wiki page
> in wikipedia is long-winded and doesn't really share the gist about
> the standard.

Yeah, but probably not in this document.  Do you have any suggestions
for references we can point people to?

> There is lot of talk about a Service Desk - Is there any software in
> Debian-edu which could be used as the service desk ? The O'reilly RT
> page linked there isn't available :(

Personally I still recommend RT.  See
we need to track down an the RT book link.

> Where it's construction management, I think you meant configuration
> management . Can you fix that ?

The Norwegian term used is bygg-håndtering and bygghåndtering.  It can
translate to build management, building management or construction
management.  I suspect it is a translation of the ITIL concept
deployment management, but am a bit unsure.

> The Bottlenecks which have been mentioned, aren't most of them passe.
> Even the kernel 'smp' bit which has been shared if I'm not wrong is
> not used anymore as all kernels are 'smp' based.  The more interesting
> part would have been inclusion of hugepages as RAM is nowadays
> relatively cheap.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Hugepages

Yeah, that should probably be completely rewritten.  When the English
wiki is the authorative source.

> The Administrating Packages - It has sarge history at
> /etc/apt/sources.list that needs to be transferred to 'Jessie' . Also
> it might be a good idea to also use the http redirector
> http://httpredir.debian.org/ - check it out.

I suspect it might make more sense to refer to the Debian Edu release
manual for this part, and drop it from the ITIL document.  But we have
delayed all such large rewrites until the English wiki is in place, to
have more potential editors available to improve the text.

> There has been no instruction or idea laid out on Coyote Linux . I
> have used ufw (Uncomplicated firewall) and ufw-gui withoug an issue.
>
> Which lead me to file #782351 without realizing that the maintainer
> seems to be MIA as even the last wishlist went unheard #704634 which I
> had also forgotten.

Perhaps it make more sense to move the firewall stuff into a separate
howto?

> The last thing is that the currency seemed foreign, if the various
> estimates could be shared with respect to US dollars or failing that,
> with the Euro so it's easier to figure out both for solution providers
> and schools.

Good point.  We should try to be consistent there.  But it is a bit hard
to decide how to calculate the numbers into other currencies when the
exchange rate change so much.

> Other than spell-checking, some things shared above and few
> sentence-formation issues seemed good enough. Some images are missing,
> if they are not needed, then those hyperlinks need to be deleted.

Yeah.  Someone need to check the original ODF files to see if the images
are there.

> Looking forward to see a better version of the document soon.

We lack Norwegian->English translators with good knowledge about
contract language, as the appendix is the only part left to translate.
And we need reviewers with time to go through the 1300 text strings and
improve the quality of the translation.  The work so far is done by 2-3
very active people and a few hangarounds like myself, but more eyes
would speed up the process a lot. If you are willing to help, please
register on
and start translationg/reviewing.  To be allowed to flag translations as
reviewed you to be approved by the project coordinators, so please poke
me on #debian-edu if you want to do this.

And <URL: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/en/ITIL/ > is
kept up to date (need to figure out how to handle the front page, but
the others are updated semi-automatically by Alexander), so you can
review the english text there too.  But only update it in Transifex, as
we replace the English wiki using the po file from Transifex at the
moment.

--
Happy hacking