set locale on terminals/users

Hi all

I'm a bit stuck here. I want to have all students/users logins have dutch (Nederlands) as locale.

I looked in the wiki and tried to configure some things, but nothing seems to have effect.

The current situation for a typical student is when I type "locale" at the prompt, all values have "C" as content.

I modified (in ltsp-chroot) /etc/default/locale, which already had "LANG=nl_NL.utf8" in it, to add LC_TIME, LC_MEASUREMENT, LC_PAPER all set to the same value "nl_NL.utf8". And rebooted the terminal to let it take effect. Nothing changes :-( I tried editing /etc/profile with LANG=${LANG:=nl_NL.utf8}; export LANG, again reboot terminal and nothing...

on tjener:
ltsp-chroot locale -a
C.UTF-8
nl_NL.utf8
POSIX

I tried changing the user profile in Gosa to have Nederlands/nl_NL as preferred language. The ldapvi method failed to set this for all students, so I tried one manually, but to no effect.

I tried adding a setting to ~/.profile for a user. Nothing changes.

There's got to be a way to do this, right?

Cheers

Simon