Re: 7.6: NBD instead of NFS

> [Francesco Parisi]
>> Is there a way to use NBD instead of NFS?
>
> Are you talking about LTSP?
>
> I've only used NFS myself, but suspect NBD might be a better option
> these days.

It can be done, but you have to be careful. A couple of years ago I
used AoE to start up a whole diskless classroom, starting all the
computers from the network using AoE (ATAPI Over Ethernet), and it
escalates much better than NFS (I could start up about 15 computers at
the same time using AoE, in comparison to 3 symultaneously using NFS,
because of the overhead). Keep in mind, though, that if you are
accessing the same partition at the same time from different computers
via AoE (or iSCSI or whatever you use), you must either have that
partition set as read only, or you will have to use a cluster
filesystem [1] [2]. Otherwise, the caches will be all messed up.

Greetings,
Miry

[1] http://www.millennia.it/Coraid4.aspx
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustered_file_system