Re: [debian-edu-commits] debian-edu/ 02/02: Add NEWS warning about unwanted shutdowns in multiseat setup.

[Holger Levsen]
> does this open the window for simple DOS attacks: on a locked screen, select
> "login as other user" and then shutdown-at-night will kill the session of the
> logged in user?
>
> That would be less then optimal, to say it friendly.

It depend on the school admins priorities, I guess, if that is seen as
a DOS attack or enforcing the lab policy.

The goal of the shutdown-at-night package is to allow sites to save
power by turning machines off at night, when the work day is over.
People not logging out when they leave (thus allowing someone else to
log into the machine on a different login screen) can be said to go
against this goal, and I know that for me when I ran a student lab, I
would rather throw out non-active users when the lab closed than keep
a machine running over night because someone left the machine while
logged in.  In such setting, I would indeed welcome those that logged
in as another user and used the machine if this caused the machine to
be turned off over the night.

--
Happy hacking