Re: Possible bug: gksu, pkexec grants root with password on GNOME

On Monday 24 February 2014 21:15 int256 wrote:
> gksu and pkexec grants root privileges with the root password on GNOME,
> I've been told this shouldn't happen. This is easily reproducible by
> doing "gksu synaptic" or "pkexec synaptic" on GNOME.

For better understanding, the IRC conversation here is:

19:38:09 < quartz> the problem is that while kdm doesn't allow root login, if you start something like synaptic as the first user it asks for root, but i guess it doesn't
                   matter if people are meant to chroot into the client's fs to install stuff
19:42:00 < quartz> i mean in kde's DE it asks for root and once you give it it refuses it anyway, in gnome gksu accepts it
19:43:22 < jever> so something does wrong?
19:46:12 < quartz> i guess if kde doesnt accept root passwords and gnome does it's inconsistent but nevermind because i like the fact that gksu works
19:46:55 < jever> did you test that under kde?
19:49:21 < quartz> yes, if i start synaptic it asks for root in a kde-style window(i guess it's kde's gksu) and rejects the correct password, while
19:49:33 < quartz> while on gnome it works
19:49:52 < quartz> pkexec works, gksu works too
19:50:10 < quartz> both ask for root pw
19:51:10 < jever> maybe filing a bug is a good idea?
19:52:16 < jever> ... or at least tell it on the list please.
20:07:08 < quartz> jever: will they pay attention if i just describe the problem shortly?
20:09:40 < jever> think so, it's more to get a hook for having it in mind for latter activities, irc is so transient ...
20:10:26 < jever> ... and on the list there are much more reader than here
20:14:22 < jever> debian-edu@lists.debian.org

Greetings
Jürgen Leibner