Re: Administration framework of skolelinux

Hi,

2014-02-03 Franklin Weng <franklin@goodhorse.idv.tw>:
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your reply.

2014-02-03 nigel barker <nigel@hiroshima-is.ac.jp>:
It depends on the school. Of course, with thin (or fat) clients, there
is no installation necessary, apart from the ltsp servers. Schools who
use full workstations can install them via pxe boot from the main
server. Ltsp servers can also be installed that way. The standalone
profile is for machines that will move out of the skolelinux network,
and is like a normal debian installation.

There are no user accounts on the machines, not even the full
workstations. All accounts exist in LDAP on the main server. (except
the standalone profile). No-one can log in anywhere if something
happens to the main server (which it doesn't in my 10 year experience,
fingers crossed)

There is backup of the main server. Other maintenance isn't catered
for. Personally I use parallel-ssh to keep workstations updated. I
also have clonezilla images of key machines.

Perhaps someone else will fill in some more technical details for you,
or maybe you have more questions now?

cheers
Nigel

So can I conclude that, for *every* school you administrate, there would be
 - a main server, running
    * LDAP service, for user account management
    * X server so that thin client can connect to
    * And anything else?
 - an LTSP server, so that you can diagnose and solve issues remotely

And many thin client machines which would get remote X desktop

Is that true?  Please correct me if anything wrong.

For the main server, how powerful would it need to be?

In Taiwan, we use DRBL and Clonezilla (http://drbl.sourceforge.net/) but we use it to deploy a *real* system to remote PCs instead of just a thin client.

Furthermore, do you have any documentations describing how LDAP server needs to be set, and how clients needs to be set so that user accounts management can be done this way?

Thanks for any reply.  I hope that one day our team can visit you to exchange our experiences promoting FOSS systems in schools.

Regards,
Franklin

I read some more about LTSP (though I can't connect to www.ltsp.org now).  You seemed to use thin client to connect to LTSP server.  LTSP is not used to diagnose.  So how did you diagnose and solve the issues remotely?

Franklin