run amd64 diskless workstations (Was: Re: Is it possible to force ws to use a certain ltsp-server?)

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 09:51:57AM +0100, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 12:36:14PM +0000, George wrote:
> > I have installed the ltserv01 as workstation and ltsp-server. Then I
> > replaced /opt/ltsp/i386 with /opt/ltsp/amd64 since all our
> > workstations will handle that. Dont know if that will be a problem
> > since tjener use /opt/ltsp/i386 to boot the workstations?
>
> As i386 is hardcoded in different files (and in LDAP, too) this is
> supposed to fail without further configuration, I guess.

George, please reply to the list.

In a private mail George wrote:

---------------------
Thanks. Ok, then I need to setup a load balancing server first. However
I tried to connect via ltserv01 192.168.0.0/24 net instead and it starts
to boot. Problem is as you say i386 is hardcoded.. Are there a reason
for that? (Such as running 64-bit is not recommended on clients or
something, or is it just to simplify the setup?)

I have changed the settings I found in ltserv01:/etc and
ltserv01:/var/lib/tftpboot, but since most of the settings are in tjener
it didnt help much. It starts the boot process, but then I get a "cant
connect" message when it wants to start the os from chroot in ltserv01.
Is it possible to make tjener to tell the ws to connect to amd64
instead? (Without breaking the setup for the other ltspserver that are
in use today, it uses i386 standard setup.)

I guess maybe its easier to stick to i386 instead, but since we are now
going to use only workstations, no thinclients, it seems better(?) to be
able to utilize the 64-bit ws instead of running it as i386. What would
you recommend?
---------------------

As you already found out, you don't need loadbalancing to serve amd64
clients. Loadbalancing is just another story. And IMO i386 only is still
there so that the default setup is save for schools using old hardware.

(I don't have a proper testbench atm, so the following might not be
complete / will not work.)

Configure the setup for ltspserver01 to serve LTSP amd64 clients

tjener:
=======
(1) Change DHCP configuration (in LDAP) : replace i386 with amd64 in
    root-path and filename settings for the preconfigured network
    192.168.1.0/24

(2) Restart isc-dhcp-server

(3) Use GOsa² to set up the dedicated amd64 LTSP server as ltspserver01

ltspserver01:
=============
(4) Create amd64 LTSP chroot (make sure that enough disk space is
    available):

    * edit /usr/bin/ltsp-arch-debian-edu: replace i386 with amd64

    * execute /usr/sbin/debian-edu-ltsp

(5) Configure NAT: edit /etc/init.d/enable-nat and change network to be
    192.168.1.0/24

(6) Configure NFS:
    * edit /etc/exports: add similar line for amd64, skip 10.0.0.0
      network
    * restart nfs-kernel-server

(7) Configure network: edit /etc/network/interfaces, replace 168.0 with
    168.1

Clients:
========
Use subnet01.intern and IPs in the range 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.19 if you
want to configure systems via GOsa² for ltspserver01 clients.
Clients connected to the main network or other LTSP servers should work
like before.

Wolfgang