Re: Installing clients via PXE

[Bernd Zeitzen]
> Hi all,
> I want to install 30 Notebooks using PXE from Tjener.  Is it
> possible to set LXDE as the default desktop for the clients. I've
> read the manual but I have not found any hint.

Yes.  The PXE installation inherit the desktop seting of the server,
so if you had installed the server using desktop=lxde, the clients
would become LXDE desktops too.  /usr/sbin/debian-edu-pxeinstall is
the script setting this up, and if I remember correctly, the desktop
value used by PXE clients is in
/var/lib/tftpboot/debian-edu/install.cfg

To make sure the change stick, I recommend changing the value in
debconf and run debian-edu-pxeinstall again to generate a new
configuration:

  echo tasksel tasksel/desktop string lxde,xfce | debconf-set-selections

Note that you can specify several desktop environment in the variable,
or just one if you do not want several available.

> Are there more settings I can change when installing a workstation?

Sure.  The preseed file is in
/etc/debian-edu/www/debian-edu-install.dat, and you can change lots of
stuff there.  The supported way to add/change settings is to write
values in /etc/debian-edu/www/debian-edu-install.dat.local and rerun
debian-edu-pxeinstall.

> Where can I find the documentation?

Not sure.  Perhaps you can add some to
isn't documented already?

BTW: Would you be willing to be interviewed in my blog,

--
Happy hacking