GUI packages missing .desktop meny entries

One problematic part in Debian Edu, is the GUI packages missing .desktop
file, causing the provided program not to show up in the KDE, Gnome and
LXDE menus (but only in the Debian submenu in KDE).

To detect this problem, I wrote a small tool many years ago to report it
for the running system.  I just installed our KDE, Gnome and LXDE
environment in a chroot, and ran it.  This is the result:

root@workstation:/# time /usr/share/debian-edu-config/tools/missing-desktop-file
package menu got menu but no desktop file
package aptitude got menu but no desktop file
package bash got menu but no desktop file
package bc got menu but no desktop file
package dash got menu but no desktop file
package dc got menu but no desktop file
package ddccontrol got menu but no desktop file
package deborphan got menu but no desktop file
package dia-gnome got menu but no desktop file
package evince got menu but no desktop file
package gdb got menu but no desktop file
package gnuchess got menu but no desktop file
package gnugo got menu but no desktop file
package gnuplot-nox got menu but no desktop file
package guile-1.8 got menu but no desktop file
package heirloom-mailx got menu but no desktop file
package info got menu but no desktop file
package lmms-common got menu but no desktop file
package nano got menu but no desktop file
package ncftp got menu but no desktop file
package planner got menu but no desktop file
package procps got menu but no desktop file
package psmisc got menu but no desktop file
package ruby1.8 got menu but no desktop file
package ruby1.9.1 got menu but no desktop file
package sane got menu but no desktop file
package stk got menu but no desktop file
package tasksel got menu but no desktop file
package tcl8.4 got menu but no desktop file
package tcl8.5 got menu but no desktop file
package texlive-base got menu but no desktop file
package tilp2 got menu but no desktop file
package timidity got menu but no desktop file
package tk8.4 got menu but no desktop file
package tk8.5 got menu but no desktop file
package wordnet-gui got menu but no desktop file
package x11-apps got menu but no desktop file
package x11-utils got menu but no desktop file
package x11-xserver-utils got menu but no desktop file
package xdrawchem got menu but no desktop file
package xjig got menu but no desktop file
package xplanet got menu but no desktop file
package xsok got menu but no desktop file

real    0m20.491s
user    0m7.000s
sys     0m1.328s
root@workstation:/#

Not all of these should really show up in the KDE, Gnome and LXDE menu,
but some of them should be fixed.  I've reported these bug repots to ask
for .desktop files.  Should we ask for more?

gnuchess    #708628
gnugo       #708627
planner     #708580 (fixed)
wordnet-gui #708583 (fixed)
xdrawchem   #708578
xjig        #708581

The dia and lmms isse is as far as I know a messed up package where the
menu and the .desktop files are in different packages.  I have not
tracked it down and reported anthing to BTS, as it isirrelevant for our
need to get entries in the KDE, Gnome and LXDE menus.

--
Happy hacking