Re: hardware advice

Thanks for the advice given here everyone

On 5 July 2013 19:51, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

>> 2. tjener.
>> a) I'm thinking of going with raid0 for home0. What do you think?
>
> *do not* do this, if any of your two disks fails, the data is gone. Better use

isn't this the same as a single disk, though?

> raid10 instead, though for that you will need 3 disks at least. Also putting /
> and /opt on an SSD will speed up things massivly. (So just keep /home on real
> harddisks.) A 120gb SSD is about 100€ and (if possible) IME is the best
> investment for an old machine.

I am going to buy a new machine. A core-5 or 7 with tons of RAM,
rather than a xeon with less. Do you think / and /opt on SSD and the
rest on  7200 sata is good enough for ~30 concurrent users (perhaps
rare peak of 50)? Or do I still need raid?

thanks
nigel