Re: Use the same display manager for all desktop options?

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> OK.  Unless someone come up with a good argument, I'll switch to gdm3
> later today or tomorrow.
>
> I hope gdm3 is translated to all the languages we care about.  I
> suspect so, given how long ago we it is had the problem with missing
> translations. :)

With Holgers upload of debian-edu yesterday, the kdm->gdm3 switch took
effect, and exposed a seriuos problem.

gdm3 depend on gnome-session-bin, and this cause enough of gnome to be
installed to set the default desktop to gnome (using the
x-session-manager alternative).  So when logging in for the first time
in the default setup (installed using desktop-kde), one end up with a
"simplified" gnome desktop with all our educational packages.

We can fix it by running update-alternatives at the end of the
installation, but pulling in gnome also fill up /usr/ a bit.  Not sure
how much it is, but suspect 100-200 MiB.

Something like this called from cfengine for KDE and Gnome desktops
would solve the desktop selection part:

  update-alternatives --set x-session-manager /usr/bin/startkde
  update-alternatives --set x-session-manager /usr/bin/startlxde

But we would still fill up the disk without wanting the software.
Should we revert to kdm for KDE (and perhaps use kdm for LXDE and Xfce
too?).

--
Happy hacking