First alpha release of Debian Edu/Skolelinux based on Debian Wheezy
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: First alpha release of Debian Edu/Skolelinux based on Debian Wheezy
- From: Petter Reinholdtsen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:23:54 +0200
- Message-id: <email@example.com>
New features for Debian Edu ~7.0.0 alpha0 released 2013-04-26
This is the release notes for for Debian Edu / Skolelinux ~7.0.0 edu
alpha0, based on Debian with codename "Wheezy".
About Debian Edu and Skolelinux
Debian Edu, also known as Skolelinux, is a Linux distribution based
on Debian providing an out-of-the box environment of a completely
configured school network. Immediatly after installation a school server
running all services needed for a school network is set up just waiting
for users and machines being added via GOsa², a comfortable Web-UI. A
netbooting environment is prepared using PXE, so after initial
installation of the main server from CD, DVD or USB stick all other
machines can be installed via the network.
1) <URL: http://www.skolelinux.org/ >
This is the first test release based on Wheezy (which currently is not
released yet). Basically this is an updated and slightly improved
version compared to the Squeeze release.
* Everything which is new in Debian Wheezy, eg:
+ Linux kernel 3.2.x
+ Desktop environments KDE "Plasma" 4.8.4, GNOME 3.4, and LXDE 4
(KDE is installed by default; to choose GNOME or LXDE: see
+ Web browser Iceweasel 10 ESR
+ LibreOffice 3.5.4
+ LTSP 5.4.2
+ GOsa 2.7.4
+ CUPS print system 1.5.3
+ Educational toolbox GCompris 12.01
+ Music creator Rosegarden 12.04
+ Image editor Gimp 2.8.2
+ Virtual universe Celestia 1.6.1
+ Virtual stargazer Stellarium 0.11.3
+ Scratch visual programming environment 18.104.22.168
+ New version of debian-installer from Debian Wheezy, see
installation manual for more details.
+ Debian Wheezy includes about 37000 packages available for
+ More information about Debian Wheezy 7.0 is provided in the
release notes and the installation manual.
2) <URL: http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/installmanual >
3) <URL: http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/releasenotes >
4) <URL: http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/installmanual >
* The (English) Debian Edu Wheezy Manual is fully translated to
German, French, Italian and Danish. Partly translated versions exist
for Norwegian Bokmal and Spanish.
5) <URL: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Wheezy >
LDAP related changes
* Slight changes to some objects and acls to have more types to
choose from when adding systems in GOsa. Now systems can be of type
server, workstation, printer, terminal or netdevice.
* LTSP clients start as diskless workstation / thin client can be
configured via command line argument -- or individually adding an
entry in lts.conf or LDAP.
* GOsa gui: Now some options that seemed to be available, but are non
functional, are greyed out (or are not clickable). Some tabs are
completely hidden to the end user, others even to the GOsa admin.
* No mass import of user account data in GOsa (ldif or csv) available
No updated artwork
* Updated artwork which is visible during installation, in the login
screen and as desktop wallpaper is still missing or the same as we
had for our Squeeze based release.
Where to get it
To download the multiarch netinstall CD release you can use
* rsync -avzP ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/wheezy/
The MD5SUM of this image is:
The SHA1SUM of this image is:
How to report bugs