Re: [debian-edu-commits] r79569 - in trunk/src/debian-edu-config: debian etc/samba

Hi Holger,

On Mo 01 Apr 2013 19:59:30 CEST Holger Levsen wrote:

Hi Mike,

On Montag, 1. April 2013, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>> +   passwd program = /usr/sbin/kadmin.local -q 'cpw %u'
>> +   passwd chat = "Authenticating as principal*"n"Enter password for
>> principal *"%u"*:*" %nn n"Re-enter password for principal *"%u"*:*" %nn
> this doesn't allow for translations :-(
Samba calls the passwd chat with LANG=C. No need to consider
translations here.

this is exactly the problem I pointed out. that there is no need to translate,
is a bug, not a feature.

No, there is a deep misunderstanding here.

The passwd chat parameter in smb.conf allows for giving a parsing pattern of shell commands that are non-scriptable (like PAM password chats). This basically works like using the command ,,expect'', but with a different syntax AFAICT.

To make this work, Samba __has__ to call the PAM password chat in a language independent way (with LANG=C, this is handled internally by Samba). The Samba admin then has to provide a chat matching pattern. This pattern __also__ has to be in English.

With the ,,passwd chat'' pattern as specified in smb.conf being in English, you can reliably parse the invoked-by-Samba PAM password chat. No matter what default locale the installed system uses.

Note: This has been tested on a German D-E installation, and it works perfectly.

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM