Skolelinux 6 got a video review from Pcwizz

From
Via twitter[1] I just discovered that Pcwizz[2] have done a video
review[3] on Youtube of Skolelinux / Debian Edu[4] version 6. He
installed the standalone profile and the video show a walk-through of of
the menu content, demonstration of a few programs and his view of our
distribution.

 1) <URL: https://twitter.com/pcwizz/status/313044373262716930 >
 2) <URL: http://pcwizz.net/ >
 3) <URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPzTZ61Pcuc >
 4) <URL: http://www.skolelinux.org/ >

There is also some really nice quotes (transcribed by me, might have
heard wrong). While looking thought the Graphics menu:

  "Basically everything you ever need in a school environment."

And as a general evaluation of the entire distribution:

  "So, yeah, a bit bloated. It kept all the Debian stuff in there, just
  to keep it nice and GNU. So, I do not want to go on about it, but lets
  give it 7 out of 10. I am not going to use it. That is because I am
  not deploying a school network. There may be some mythical feature to
  help you deploy Skolelinux on a school network."

To bad he did not test the server profile, and discovered the PXE
installation option. It make it possible to install only the main server
from CD, and the rest of the machines via the net, and might be
considered the mythical feature he talk about. :)

While looking through the menus, there is also this funny comment about
the part of the K menu generated from the Debian menu subsystem:

  "[The K menu] have a special Debian section for software that no-one
  is going to look at, because it contain lots of junky stuff that you
  actually don't need in the education distribution, but have just been
  included because it isn't stripped out for some reason."

I guess it is yet another argument for merging the Debian menu and
Gnome/KDE desktop menu entries into one consistent menu system[5]
instead of two incomplete and partly inconsistent menu systems.

 5) <URL: http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/DebianMenuUsingDesktopEntries >

--
Happy hacking