Debian-edu, bite-sized bugs and the road ahead.

Hi all,
I have been a lurker using the Debian-edu web archives for quite some
years. I have been given an opportunity to share info. about the blend
in a minidebconf which is organized to be held next month . See
http://funnel.fossmeet.in/2013/14-debian-edu for the short write-up I
have written up for it.

I have seen the debian-edu discussions going through a big yin-yang
quite a bit of last year and the year before when the ambitions were
really sky high with all kind of interesting interfaces for younger
children being talked about but the team were not really able to bring
any of them to fruition. I guess one of the reasons would be the
number of projects most of the developers have and life and being able
to devote to new UI paradigms is and would be a big responsibility (as
well as handling criticisms, documentation etc.)

I did see that the documentation has improved than before,
specifically in reference to the implementation illustration shared at
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Wheezy/Architecture .

I did see the Squeeze release info. which came quite a bit later than
Squeeze release http://www.debian.org/News/2012/20120311

Now I'll know in few days if my talk/sharing will be accepted or not.
If it does, could you provide me with a list of things college
students (Second year Comp. Sci. ) could take.

We would be having a packaging workshop, so some bugs about :-

a. Packaging educational software which would be nice/cool to have in
Debian-edu blend. A friend of mine would be having a packaging session
so people know about debian/control and things like that. I have
enjoyed both Gcompris and Childsplay which I would be showcasing that
as well as scratch which they could introduce to their younger
brothers and sisters. Are there any other nice tools/suites which
people on the list would like me to recommend ?

b. I know you are in need of testers, but testers in which scenarios
would be helpful, could you please clarify ? What needs testing the
most ? We would have access to a LAN so we could mimic/do the
workstation-server scenario there. If there are any specific scenarios
in mind we could do them there. Is anything to be stress-tested or
what ?

There are also going to be quite a few stand-alones so we could test
in that scenario as well.

c. I know you need people for translations but then again is the wiki
which needs to be translated in more languages or the debian-edu-doc
package or which is more needed urgently ? I do know that Christian
Perrier does lot of il8n things so we could take his help for guidance
as well as co-ordination.

d. The point for indianization which I am/was making is more about
contextualizing the content (for e.g. in Gcompris or Childsplay etc.
where at times it could be way better in the Indian context for e.g.
all the music if on Indian instruments would make lot of people and
children easy and familiar and so on and so forth. I would elaborate
on this if needed later.

e. Lastly any coding bugs which these college students could take a
shot at and have people from debian-edu either via ML or IRC mentoring
them.

Sorry for the longish mail but wanted to be thorough.

Till l8er.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल