Re: Debian Edu - some ideas for the future versions

Hi,

here my 2 cents.

1) I think you should really Kerberize NFS per default. NBD is encriptable?
If not, why not usins ssh-fuse for LTSP, since it is the default
setup of LTSP?

There are more and more portable devices that could mount shared
disks in an unattended way, and this is really an issue especially
just before examinations time. Skolelinux is not designed for
bankers, but anyway... Security is security.

2) Keep a wheezy (testing) roaming workstation profile
(and possibly also the workstation profile itself) compatible at ANY TIME
with the stable server. This is VERY, VERY important. In fact
a big issue is the integration of brand new hardware like new
pupils laptop into the school network. Fighting with too outdated kernel
modules is no fun at all for (experienced and) unexperienced admins.

3) And YESS, I agree that the Skolelinux install should be "a kind of
debian unofficial installer" with all firmware included. Otherwise
people will allways prefere Ubuntu, just for this puristic limitation.

Best Regards

Giorgio
--
Giorgio Pioda - Sysadmin SPSE-Tenero