SV: Workstations timezone and home problems

Från: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
Till: debian-edu@lists.debian.org
Skickat: måndag, 11 juni 2012 10:58
Ämne: Re: Workstations timezone and home problems

[George]
> Hi,
>
> I have installed some workstations and unfortunately I cant use
> netstart to make them boot in the morning. (Old switches). So I made
> them start via bios start. Problem is the hardware clock get synced
> at shutdown, but it does not get the proper timezone. Instead of
> getting my local timezone they get the universal timezone.

Unless you dual boot with Windows, I recommend running the BIOS clock
on UTC, not local time.  Windows expect the BIOS clock to be local
time, and get confused if shutting down before summer time kick in and
boot after it kick in.  Having the BIOS clock run on local time when
it is unable to understand the time zone settings lead to such
problems.

> But the workstations get there hardware clocks set to the universal
> time at shutdown, not the local time. Why? How can I fix this? Of
> course I can set the bios start time two hours to early to
> compensate, but that seems to be a bit of a hack.

I am quite sure it is done at boot to, but worked around when ntp
start a bit later in the boot.  See the UTC setting in
/etc/default/rcS to control how Debian handle the BIOS clock.  The
default is to believe the BIOS clock is running on UTC, which is my
recommondation to you.

> Another problem I noticed is that if you log in to a ws and then
> logout again within a minute or so, and then you log in to the next
> one (for testing purposes) you can do that about three times, and
> then you get the dreaded message that it "cant mount home dir, using
> /" preventing you from logging in for some time. Anyone seen this
> and know how to fix it? Of course its not that big issue, since that
> login behaviour is not very common, but I dont see why it happens.

No idea.  autofs must be confused, somehow.

Hmm, I have done no changes to autofs whatsoever... the only changes to the filesystem that is done is that I removed the entry for backup in fstab, and replaced it with a nfs share. But no changes to users home dir or anything else.

--
Happy hacking