Re: no home-directory on diskless workstations

Hi,

On 11/05/12 08:28, George wrote:
> Should I instead use iScsi with lvm or another approach to mount the
> homedir? I like nfs ;) Its flexible and you can easily point it to
> another place only by editing fstab.. but Im willing to change my
> mind.

Currently you've mounted a SAN NFS share on the tjener, and you are
trying to re-export that to your clients, right?  But what is really
being exported is just the 'empty' mountpoint because the NFS server
doesn't 'see' the mounted stuff.

If you mount SAN storage via iScsi instead I *think* the NFS server will
then be able to share it.  If so, the clients could be set up in the
standard way.

Or, the other approach I think is for clients to mount their home dirs
directly from the SAN NFS share.  That requires changing the
configuration on all the clients to do that, and the SAN would need to
permit access to anyone, so it doesn't seem like a good idea.

>> I might be an idea to change the exported name from home_edu to
>> home0, to prepare for more home directories in the future.

I was always curious about the reason behind /home0.  Surely it violates
the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.  If you really need a lot of
home dirs, or for them to maybe reside within separate mount points, why
not /home/0/*, or /home/s/steven, or /home/new-nas/user1 etc.?  This way
at least all home dirs are still within /home/ where they're expected to be.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org