Re: Running skolelinux virtually in production?

Hi George,

i'm running several skolelinux servers with a kvm virtualization
solution named proxmox ve (http://www.proxmox.com). It is easy to manage
(completly web based) and supports time scheduled backup jobs.

This solution is open source and runs without any problems, some
machines have already two years and more uptime. The ProxmoxVE server is
a debian based solution and can be installed from cdrom and you have a
ready to use kvm server after reboot. Proxmox provides a debian repo for
installation on a (clean and fresh) debian lenny or squeeze installation
too.

They provide a forum and a wiki where you can additional installation,
setup and configuration infos.

In two schools we are running an x2go terminalserver together with the
tjener on one single server (hp dl180 g6), but mostly we have an ipfire
gateway as second virtual machine.

Because of the debian based structure you can run the server on software
raid, if hardware raid would be too expensive. Proxmox.com says it's not
recommended, but possible when installing debian and after that proxmox
from their repo's.

In one sentence: It's an cheap, powerful and easy to manage solution.

I like it ;-)

Viele Grüße / Kind Regards
Peter Mueller