Re: access to local media on thin clients

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 03:02:29PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Wolfgang Schweer]
> > checking the manual once more I found outdated content concerning local
> > media on thin clients. I'm about to revise the information but it would
> > be easier to describe it (and easier for admins, too), if the two
> > attached scripts would reside in /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ldm/rc.d on
> > each ltsp-server.
> [...]
> > #
> > # sourced with .
> > #
> > # Script to set local Media link for logged in user
> >
> > ssh -X -S ${LDM_SOCKET} ${LDM_SERVER} "ln -s /media/$LDM_USERNAME Media"
>
> Why not instead use only a script similar to S16-userCreateMediaLink
> and open a window with the freshly mounted directory?  Ie something
> like this:
>
>   ssh -X -S ${LDM_SOCKET} ${LDM_SERVER} "konquror /media/$LDM_USERNAME"

That would place the file manager window onto the screen _before_
showing the desktop and thus blocking the start of the session.

To be more precise: scripts in /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ldm/rc.d with
leading S will be executed upon login but before the Xsession starts
(see LTSPManual contained in package ltsp-docs).

My approach was to avoid the necessity for admins to execute a skript
setting the link manually as proposed in the manual (14.12). They would
have to do that each time new user accounts are created.

I'm not aware of a way to execute a script triggered by plugging in a
device on the terminal - which is probably what your suggestion was.

To avoid confusion the link name could perhaps be Removeable_Media or
some such.

Removing the link upon closing the Xsession (leading K) was meant to
avoid confusion for people when using a workstation instead of a thin
client ending up with a non functional link.

Wolfgang