Re: Proxy for PXE install

[Giorgio Pioda]
> Hi,
>
> after testing a while and monitoring the network trafic, my neat
> impression is that the squid proxy, although well populated (I see
> the squid directory growing) doesn't work during PXE install (at
> least in qemu) and all the packages are downloaded again and again
> from the net.

Did you test after using the automatic partitioning of your
main-server?  Without a separate partition for the squid cache, the
proxy will use very little disk space and thus have a very small
cache.

I tested today with my main-server, and the PXE installation used the
proxy and almost all the packages (not the updated debian-edu-config,
which is good) were fetched from squid and not from the remote APT
mirror.  I got 75 Mbit/s when installing, while the first installation
filling the cache had 40 Mbit/s. :)

root@tjener:/etc# df -h /var/spool/squid
Filsystem          Storlek Anvnt Tillg Anv% Monteret på
/dev/mapper/vg_system-var+spool+squid
                       15G  2,8G   11G  21% /var/spool/squid
root@tjener:/etc# grep ^cache_dir /etc/squid/squid.conf
cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 11534 16 256
root@tjener:/etc#
--
Happy hacking