Help needed, binding moodle to LDAP

Hi there,

I tried to bind an external hosted moodle
to our school's ldap (tjener). I followed
all instructions, and tested remote access
using luma (being able to browse the ldap
tree anonymously).

However, the extern moodle fails when trying
to auth towards our tjener. Alas, no additional
messages, I don't have root access to that moodle.

Any clue? Is browsing less than authing? Can
I easily test if external auth would work?

I remember having switched to pam in former
times, but this moodle is hosted by third party,
without corresponding modules, so far.

Thank you very much,
Cheers
Ralf