debian install

http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2011/06/msg00085.html I'm getting errors similar to these ones, except I'm kind of new to linux, and I can't figure out how to use the command "sudo dd if=debian-edu-amd64-i386-XXX.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1024".  i am given a message that the file name is not the name of any file, even though I checked it again and again with the actual name.  I can't figure out how to reference the usb filesystem that I have the .iso on, and I am confused about how to mount a usb drive and then access it through the terminal.  the usb drive is plugged in and was used successfully at previous points in the installation, but I still can't figure out how to cd to the usb drive so that I can access the .iso. any suggestions?