Re: Thoughts on roaming laptop setup for Debian Edu

2012/1/27 Giorgio Pioda <gfwp@ticino.com>:
> I also would argue that wicd is fairly less efficient
> than network manager. I've tested it
> recently on an fresh Wheezy-XFCE but at school I wasn't able to
> connect and had to replace it with n-m.
>
> Cheers

I  agree. Things have changed in the latest two years. The development
of n-m has continued improving the application, while wicd has
stalled, keeping some ugly bugs for months.

I still think wicd has a more friendly interface for non-geek users,
specially when you want the computer to get a network connection
before login. That's something that will require root access in n-m
while it's easy for any user without root access using wicd. However ,
the bugs wicd is keeping are making it less efficient with some
wireless encription methods, so we have been migrating our machines to
n-m in the last months.

Regards.