Re: [Debconf-discuss] debian-edu meeting

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:37:25PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Friday 29th of july at 9:30 a Debian Edu meeting in the meeting room

Here my (unpolished and polished) notes from that meeting.

Unpolished notes:
-----------------
debian-edu is not monolihtic

installer is debian-installer

configuration part

shortcut: not installing all applications

09:44 < pere> My upgrade testing stuff is in <URL:
              http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/debian-upgrade-testing/upgrade-test >, and talked about in <URL:
              http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Lenny__Squeeze_upgrades__removals_by_apt_and_aptitude.html >.

Reused

Why debian edu has debian-installer in it's own repository:
* Ask the profile question
    profile consist:
       partition
       package

source: debian-edu-install
 debian-edu-profile-udeb
 debian-edu-install
 debian-edu-install-udeb

http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/debian-upgrade-testing/upgrade-test-debian-edu

    DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
    export DEBIAN_FRONTEND DEBIAN_PRIORITY
    cmd="$(chroot $tmpdir tasksel -t --new-install|sed 's/debconf-apt-progress -- //')"
    chroot $tmpdir $cmd

Tasksel file for debian-edu-install from debian install package
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu/debian-edu-tasks.desc?view=log

all in one

minimal install is already there

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu-install/finish-install?view=log

finish install hook

before reboot

in-target cfengine-debian-edu -D installation || true

clean init post init

tasksel versus metapackage:  progress bar

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu-install/pre-pkgsel?revision=73691&view=markup

Polished notes ( as inline comment on the unpolished notes )
| debian-edu is not monolihtic

debian-edu only looks like a large piece of software.
a closer look shows how modular it is.

| installer is debian-installer

The installer in debian-edu the debian-installer
(or historical more correct: the debian-edu-installer became
 the debian-installer)

| configuration part

Beyond "installation" is debian-edu doing configuration
(and after that you a Debian system)

| shortcut: not installing all applications

For faster testing of debian-edu do not install applications

| 09:44 < pere> My upgrade testing stuff is in <URL:
|               http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/debian-upgrade-testing/upgrade-test >, and talked about in <URL:
|               http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Lenny__Squeeze_upgrades__removals_by_apt_and_aptitude.html >.

The debian-edu IRC channel was used for exchanging URLs
Those URL where partly used later in the meeting.

| Reused

Sorry, I can't remember what I ment with it ...

| Why debian edu has debian-installer in it's own repository:
| * Ask the profile question
|     profile consist:
|        partition
|        package

In debian-edu source repository is a copy of debian-installer source repository.
The debian-edu repo exists because 'the profile question' is in not in d-i
Profile consists of partition configurations and package lists

| source: debian-edu-install
|  debian-edu-profile-udeb
|  debian-edu-install
|  debian-edu-install-udeb

The source package builds three binary packages

| http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/debian-upgrade-testing/upgrade-test-debian-edu

That script was elaborated

|     DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
|     export DEBIAN_FRONTEND DEBIAN_PRIORITY
|     cmd="$(chroot $tmpdir tasksel -t --new-install|sed 's/debconf-apt-progress -- //')"

prepares a tasksel command by run tasksel in test mode as new install,
 the progress indicators are removed

|     chroot $tmpdir $cmd

actual execute

Tasksel file is http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu/debian-edu-tasks.desc?view=markup

| all in one

In the tasksel file are several tasks defined, the all in one approach
has a good design reason, that I can't recall (sorry)

| minimal install is already there

The short cut the an installation test,
 leave out the installation of many application
It can be done with the minimall install task

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu-install/finish-install?view=markup

| finish install hook
|
| before reboot

The finish install hook is done short for reboot

| in-target cfengine-debian-edu -D installation || true

That is where "configuration engine" is started, is modifies configuration files.

| clean init post init

Encountered a file that could be removed. That information is in VCS
as http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu-install/post-base-installer?r1=64424&r2=73867

| tasksel versus metapackage:  progress bar

Why using a tasksel task and not metapackage:
tasksel will get you a progress bar that will show progress,
where installation of a metapackage will NOT show that information

| http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu-install/pre-pkgsel?revision=73691&view=markup

A script is a called / executed very early and does much setup stuff

Cheers
Geert Stappers
has set reply to debian-edu @ l.d.o.  but is not subscribed to that list