Re: General question on Debian-Edu

El dom, 24-07-2011 a las 20:34 +0200, Andreas B. Mundt escribió:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 08:10:47PM +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
>
> > the Debian-Edu talk tomorrow on debconf will overlap with the ZSH Skills-
> > Exchange session... :-(
>
> Luckily not tomorrow, but on thursday ... :-)
>
> > So I read the documentation and throw out some questions here:
> >
> > * Could the base of Debian-Edu also be usable by small companies? At my former
> > company for example we had Debian thin-clients for call support staff and even
> > for some junior developers/students.
>
> No, it's highly specialized for schools.  But I propose to work in a
> direction that allows for a broader user and developer base.

And the hardcoded network setup is a problem if you need to use it in
flexible environments. It will make you work manually in some places.

> > * Which IMAP server is used?
> >
> Dovecot
>
> > * Could Debian-Edu be made replicated with automated fail-over of services?
> > Use case: The network administrator is on holiday, the main server fails, but
> > everything should continue to just work.
> Nothing in that direction has been done yet, as far as I know ...
>

> > * Is there a roadmap to update do cfengine3?
> >
> Unfortunatelly, I fear there is no roadmap at all :(

I'd prefer to update to puppet. In fact, in Extremadura we're using
puppet instead cfengine with Debian Edu since three years ago.

> > * Is there any integration with school administration, so that administrative
> > changes are automatically reflected in LDAP (addition of pupils, classes,
> > leaving of pupils, assignements of pupils to classes)
> No.  However, the design of the LDAP tree is flexible, so pupils
> associated with classes can have their own department (ou) in LDAP.
>
> > * Is there a calendaring solution used with Debian-Edu? Kolab, Horde?
> No.  I know that there is a Kolab plugin for GOsa, but never tested that.
>
> > * Are there any schools that also have mailing lists for parents?
> I don't know of any.

That's something that can be done but it's tightly dependent on the
application you use for school administration, and such kind of
applications depend on the laws of your envirnoment, so I'm afraid an
universal solution is impossible. As Andreas told you , it's not hard
make a glue application with the ldap service. In Extremadura we've done
it and it works perfectly with our own system administration school
(http://rayuela.educarex.es), so we have all the things you said
(including mailing lists with parents with the teachers of every group
or the principal of the schools). But, as I said before, I don't think
an universal solution is possible (as an example, our school
administration application is not compatible with the laws of the
regions around Extremadura because of different rules)

Regards.