Re: LDAP server scaling problem?

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> If I got the details right, a Linux process can by default only have
> 1024 files open.  This can be adjusted using 'ulimit -n', but I am not
> sure if it will work with select() calls because of a hardcoded
> constant in the system header files.

I've been told that it work just fine to extend it for slapd.  It should
thus work to add 'ulimit -n 8192' in /etc/default/slapd.

> Anyone else seen similar problems?  Is there any reason not to include
> "idletimeout 60" or some other sensible timeout in our default
> slapd.conf?

No-one else experience problems like this with Debian Edu/Lenny?

I see a problem with OpenLDAP spending 100% CPU and not responding to
requests for a long time.  My local OpenLDAP expert sent me to
<URL:http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200212/msg00435.html>
and <URL:http://www.openldap.org/its/?findid=6856> which might be
relevant.  I have not had time to test yet.  Anyone else experience
hanging OpenLDAP in Lenny?
--
Happy hacking