Re: r74050 - in trunk/src/debian-edu-config: debian etc/samba

Hi Marius,

On So 04 Sep 2011 15:27:18 CEST Marius Kotsbak wrote:

On 04. sep. 2011 14:46, Mike Gabriel wrote:
Hi Holger,

On So 04 Sep 2011 10:32:18 CEST Holger Levsen wrote:

Hi,

On Samstag, 3. September 2011, mike-gabriel-guest@alioth.debian.org
wrote:
Log:
Disable IPv6 for Samba on Skolelinux systems (clients+server).

why?

Because...

1. it is not needed in a non-IPv6 network
2. it flushes /var/log/syslog with error messages

The alternative (for getting rid of the error messages) would be a DNS
setup for IPv6 which definitely is a no-go.

Well, IPv6 is spreading now, at least in Norway. I have it at work and
can access some IPv6 web servers like google, so in some time we need to
have it working anyway. For now probably all IPv6 networks are dual with
IPv4 too.

You certainly do not want to have IPv6 hosts at schools... Pure IPv6 does not know about NATted networks. Every host in an IPv6 network has a publicly unique IP.

My recommendation for Skolelinux is to use NAT 4-to-6 if IPv6 (Asian ISP market, etc.) is really an issue. That is: use IPv4 .

For Debian Edu squeeze I recommend reduction of log errors in favour of thinking full IPv6 networking within the SL intranet.

And note: I have not disabled IPv6 completely on tjener and clients. The patch only addresses Samba.

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B

freeBusy: