Re: DNS for the thin client network should be handlet by Gosa (Was: r73056 - in trunk/src/debian-edu-config: . cf debian etc/bind ldap-bootstrap)

Hi Petter,

thanks for your comment.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 01:31:19PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > * Move DNS resolution of 'ltspserver' from ldap to static files, as
> >   the thin clients' subnet is not a subdomain that should be managed
> >   in GOsa.
>
> Eh, of course it should.  All hosts on the thin client network should
> have names, and it should be possible to put them in netgroups to get
> them to turn themselves automatically off during the night, as well as
> group them based on location.

Right, this is a good point and I am not sure how to implement
that.

If the 192.168.0.-network is a subdomain, then the second
terminal server serves the 192.168.1.-network? And the third one
serves the 192.168.2.-network and so on? This would be different from
the Figure in
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Squeeze/Architecture>,
where from my understanding it's impossible to deduce from a given IP
in the 192.168.0.-networks the corresponding machine. However, when we
install a terminal-server, how does the installer know which
192.168.X.-network to implement?

Is this correct?

If we define subdomains we would have for the terminal-servers something
like:

	ltspserver.subnet01.intern.
	ltspserver.subnet02.intern.

and so on. This also wouldn't be a problem. Do we have names for these
subdomains?

Any help is appreciated,

    Andi